Friday, December 11, 2009

The EF Effect

This feels pretty good. I found $150 a month by cutting back on utilities and cell phone bills. I know there must be more, but for now I am starting with this. If I put the $150 in the bank every month, it will take 16 months to save up the $2,500. That's not including interest, but savings are paying less than 2%, so the interest might amount to about $20 a year. Now, the whole point of an ef is to have emergency money so I won't have to turn to credit. So, a little more calculating. At $150 a month, I will have $300 available in 2 months, and $600 available in 4 months. Within 10 months, assuming I haven't had to dig into it, I will have about $1500. If I get a surprise car expense or an appliance needs repair, I won't have to turn to credit. My ef isn't for retirement or vacation or anything else. While I would like to hold on to it, I plan to use it instead of a credit card to meet unexpected expenses.
But, back to the quandry. Can I save for an emergency while getting started on debt reduction? I don't know yet. So far my expense cutting has resulted in extra money for savings, not debt reduction. Where can I find that?
I am going to take a look at my monthly payments. I have been paying the same amount on most of them for a long time, not taking into account that the minumums have gone down as the balances went down. Maybe it's not much, but I want to look at what I am already paying and see if I can juggle that around to pay down the debt faster, without adding to our expenses.
What would you do? Do you think this is any better than any other plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment